U.S.S. Saratoga CV-3 Bell

The CV-3 Bell was the ship's forward Bell on the Aircraft Carrier U.S.S. Saratoga CV-3 Launched in 1925.  The ship had a distinguished service in WWII until the ship was used in Nuclear Testing in 1946 at the Bikini Atoll. The Bell was removed there and sent to Saratoga Springs.  In 1949 the Bell was  placed on permanent display in front of Adirondack Post 70 until 1998.  In 1998 it was refurbished and unveiled at the Saratoga National  Cemetery.

Dedication Plaque that marks the start of Post 70's stewardship of the CV-3 Bell in 1949.

This Plaque was also mounted on the U.S.S. Saratoga CV-3 and now has a permanent home on the Saratoga Springs City Center, which was also the site of Post 70. This was the location of Post 70's home from 1946 to 1976.

The Bell as it looked on permanent display in front of Adirondack Post 70's homes on Broadway and West Ave. in Saratoga Springs, NY.

The Bell is removed from Adirondack Post 70 in February of 1998 to be refurbished  by Guyson Corporation.

A Picture of the CV3 Bell as it is being refurbished at Guyson Corporation.

CV3 Bell as presented at the Saratoga Springs Flag Day Parade with distinguished guests Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients, June 1998.

CV3 Bell Arrives at site of the new Saratoga National Cemetery in September 1998 for its unveiling.

Photos courtesy of Larry Gordon U.S.S. Saratoga Historian and Pat Wells Ladies Auxiliary Unit 70

If you have any questions of comments please contact our Webmaster

This page was last updated August 29, 2009